Herb 101 Basics of Herbal Medicine is the first step in your herbal training and is ideal if you have just discovered herbs and want to know more. Herb 101 provides students with an in-depth understanding of the history and uses of herbs including basic methods of administration and therapeutic actions of each of the botanicals studied. Herb 101 is also a pre-requisite for advanced herbal training. Students in this course may also study some of the topics covered in NAT 101, but in more depth.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Explain and discuss the foundation of herbal medicine and its history.
- Identify what makes herbs work.
- Create basic herbal preparations.
- Recognize and confidently use sixteen common herbs, including borage, dandelion, chamomile, sage, horehound, and lavender.
- Grow herbs organically, gather wild herbs ethically, dry, and store herbs.
- Create herbal cosmetics.
- Cook using herbs, including edible flowers, culinary herbs, and weeds.
- Create and use herbal remedies for your family for optimal health.
- Create and use herbal remedies for women, babies, and children, including natural remedies for common problems such as colic and diaper rash.
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping within the United States—is $354.04. This includes:
- ACHS eTextbook: Petersen, D. (2015). HERB 101: Basics of Herbalism.
Portland, OR: American College of Healthcare Sciences. - $125
(Optional: Printed copy available for an additional $101)
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $99
- Access to the Wonderful Weeds Online Video
- Herb 101 Practical Lab Kit - $99.71
- ACHS Double-Walled Glass Tea Tumbler - $7.33
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $354.04 Course Pack = $1329.04
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
- Interactive, instructor-led ACHS online classroom.
- Online lectures updated with the latest information and applicable research.
- Regular tests designed to enhance your understanding as well as assess your learning to date.
- Ongoing, instructor-led and peer-to-peer discussions for each module to enhance your learning and connect you with your fellow students, all of whom are adult learners from varying walks of life, enriching your learning experience. Add to discussions 24/7, giving you flexibility to work in with your busy lifestyle.
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online
Get a sneak peek of ACHS HERB 101 Instructor Scott Stuart sharing his wildcrafting essentials:
Optional Recommended Reading & Study Kits
Click here to view the Recommended Reading for this course.
Last updated 06/10/16