Introduction to Aromatherapy Online
Aroma 101 provides students with an in-depth understanding of the history and uses of essential oils including basic methods of administration and therapeutic actions of each of the oils studied. This 3-credit course is the first level of aromatherapy training at ACHS.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Discuss aromatherapy, its history, and development
- Identify and safely use nineteen essential oils, from bergamot Citrus aurantium var. bergamia to ylang ylang Cananga odorata, including methods of application
- Assess the quality of essential oils and understand the primary production methods
- Describe the physiology of the sense of smell
- Give an overview of the limbic system, lymphatic system, immune system, and skin, along with methods of absorption of essential oils
- Discuss how essential oils interact on physical and emotional levels
- Describe the major chemical constituents of essential oils
- Identify contraindications and safety issues
- Create a blend and choose from a range of carrier oils
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping within the United States—is $634.00. This includes:
- ACHS eTextbook: Petersen, D. (2015). AROMA 101: Introduction to Aromatherapy. Portland, OR: American College of Healthcare Sciences. - $100
(Optional: Printed copy available for an additional $79)
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $99
- Aroma 101 Essential Oil Kit with wooden storage box - $329.41 [Students are required to work with the assigned essential oil kit to ensure lab work is consistent and meaningful. If you have your own oils, we invite you to conduct organoleptic lab testing on both as a comparison.]
- AROMA 101 Practical Lab Kit (pictured below) - $58.89
- 16 oz Sweet Almond Oil - $22.70
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $634.00 Course Pack = $1609.00
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
- Expert faculty with real-world clinical experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.
Optional Recommended Reading & Study Kits
Click here to view the Recommended Reading for this course.
Last updated 07/13/15.