The mission of the MS in Aromatherapy degree program is to develop a practical and theoretical understanding of clinical aromatherapy and professionally apply this knowledge to educate clients and consumers about a mind-body-spirit approach to health and wellness.
The use of aromatherapy as a viable integrative holistic health modality in hospitals and in many aspects of the wellness industry has shown a progressive upward trend for a number of years. Non-profit organizations such as Planetree Hospitals Inc. are a group of US hospitals who are aware that the way a patient feels has an enormous impact on the speed and success of recovery. Planetree hospitals have adopted the holistic patient care model, which integrates complementary therapies with conventional medical treatment on mental, emotional, spiritual, social and physical levels and aromatherapy is a large part of this model.
Consumer use of Complementary and Alternative Modalities (CAM), which includes aromatherapy also continues to increase, fueled by a number of factors, including increasing access to new research that shows the therapeutic value of aromatherapy, dissatisfaction with allopathic models (particularly for chronic health problems), and an aging population.
This growing awareness and adoption by major hospitals of aromatherapy and other related holistic health modalities in innovative patient centered care models is positively influencing the development of new opportunities in the health care and health and wellness-related industries. Professionals with knowledge and training in modalities such as aromatherapy provide coaching, support, encouragement, and education to help people live healthier lives and prevent illness or injury.
The Master of Science in Aromatherapy degree prepares graduates to fulfill the eligibility requirements for approval as a Registered Aromatherapist (RA)  and to enter the health and wellness industry as a(n):
- Aromatherapist, Aromatherapy Consultant, or Aromatologist
- Clinical Aromatherapist
- Aromatherapy Coach
- Registered Aromatherapist (RA)
- Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA) Level III Clinical Aromatherapist
- Aromatherapy Product Formulator and Manufacturer
- Health Care Industry Assistant - Day Spa, Holistic Retreat, Spa facility
- Aromatherapy Retailer
- Aromatherapy Educator, Author, Speaker
- Administrative or support role in any company in the health care industry
- Customer service role within the health care industry
- Sales associate role within the health care industry
- Aromatherapy Product Formulator and Manufacturer
- Lifestyle coach or consultant
- Massage Therapist specializing in Aromatherapy
- Esthetician specializing in Aromatherapy
- Medical Assistant, administrator, reception, or other support role in a licensed naturopathic clinic
The Master of Science in Aromatherapy degree is also designed for:
- Medical professionals wishing to increase their knowledge of this effective and growing field and integrate it into a new or existing practice, including licensed health professionals such as Medical Doctors, Psychologists, Pharmacists, Naturopaths, Nurses, Veterinarians, Respiratory Therapists, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Massage Therapists, Dietary Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physician Therapists, Clinical Psychologists and Social Workers.
- Consumers looking to integrate aromatherapy and wellness principles into their life for personal health and well-being.
Specifically, graduates of the Master of Science in Aromatherapy program will:
- Exceed the Alliance of International Aromatherapist (AIA) Level III: Clinical Aromatherapy Training requirements to profile and appropriately use (including identification of cautionary oils) 50 essential oils within a holistic and clinical framework
- Review and critique the evidence relating to current aromatherapy research to provide evidence-based practical and protocol models for aromatherapy both in healthcare settings and in industry
- Apply critical analysis and reasoning skills to positively affect others’ commitment to wellness with the safe and effective implementation of aromatherapy protocols
- Integrate values, goals, strategies, initiative, and relationships that positively develop, and that emphasize sustainability of all aromatherapy and essential oil resources, including environmental and social stewardship
- Administer and perform protocols and duties consistent with an Aromatherapy Registration Council (ARC) Registered Aromatherapist’s (RA’s) education, training, and experience within an established healthcare setting (such duties shall not constitute the practice of medicine)
- Demonstrate an in-depth, advanced clinical aromatherapy knowledge base that maximizes the innovative use of information that reflects the current theories, best practices, and research in preparation for application or further research in the aromatherapy industry
- Understand and identify the mechanical and biochemical changes caused by a variety of diseases or imbalances to be able to address system imbalances and provide education that individuals can use to restore wellness
- Develop a solid knowledge base of clinical aromatherapy protocols and be able to apply that knowledge by informing and assisting practitioners and consumers of aromatherapy products and protocols
- Evaluate and generate best practices for clinical aromatherapy using evidence-based methods of administration
- Evaluate and provide guidance on the potential for essential oil, supplement, and drug interactions
- Identify key requirements for purchasing high-quality, therapeutic-grade essential oils used in clinical aromatherapy or health industry settings
- Locate, analyze, evaluate, and make effective use of clinical aromatherapy research from the scientific literature and provide guidance for practitioners, policy makers, academic researchers, industry leaders, and manufacturers
- Assist with designing and planning appropriate clinical studies elucidating the underlying mechanisms of action of clinical aromatherapy, facilitating their integration into conventional medical care, and stimulating professionalism, integrity, and social responsibility in the prevention and wellness industry
- Educate others about appropriate aromatherapy protocols that can help to rebalance the body and restore wellness, both for general good health and when particular ailments demonstrate an imbalance in the body and lifestyle
- Outline the steps to set up a business, including insurance, management, legal issues, ethics, keeping records, listening and observation skills, informed consent, marketing, business planning, and wellness counseling
- Learn and abide by the professional scope of practice for aromatherapy safety as set forth by the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA) and the Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA)
- Learn and abide by the standards of practice and code of ethics as set forth by the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA) and the Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA)
The full program objectives for this program can be found in the ACHS Program Catalog available to download online here.
View all ACHS instructor bios, photos and courses taught online here.
Candidates must possess a baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education. Candidates must submit official transcripts directly from the issuing institution along with one professional letter of recommendation. All applicants must be recommended for admission by the ACHS Admissions Committee.
Tuition and Fees:
To estimate the program tuition and fees, click on the required course name below for each Total Course Price or click here for the projected maximum cost for this program, including materials that have the greatest outlay for students.
The required course sequence for this program is published in the ACHS Program Catalog available to download online here.
Total Credits Completed
 The Aromatherapy Registration Council (ARC) was formed to promote the advancement of aromatherapy research and safe practice and provides a national and international examination which results in the prestigious achievement of the Registered Aromatherapist (RA) designation. http://aromatherapycouncil.org/