This Diploma program is a rigorous and extensive program designed for the serious student seeking a professional working knowledge of herbalism. This program is ideal for medical professionals wishing to increase their knowledge of this exciting field and integrate it into their practice, including MDs, Psychologists, Pharmacists, Nurses, Veterinarians, Respiratory Therapists, or Social Workers.
- Master Herbalist
- Clinical Herbalist
- Herbal Educator
- Meets the education requirements to apply for professional membership with the American Herbalists Guild to achieve the designation Registered Herbalist - RH (AHG). (http://www.americanherbalistsguild.com/becoming-ahg-professional-member)
- Is ideal for medical professionals wishing to increase their knowledge of this exciting field and integrate it into their practice, including MDs, Psychologists, Pharmacists, Nurses, Veterinarians, Respiratory Therapists, or Social Workers.
Graduates of the Diploma in Herbal Studies Master Herbalist will be able to:
- Outline the steps to set up a business, including insurance, management, legal issues, ethics, including AHG ethics and ARC requirements, keeping records, listening and observation skills, informed consent, marketing, business planning, nutritional, lifestyle, and wellness counseling
- Locate information from state regulatory bodies to ensure compliance with local and state requirements
- Educate others about appropriate holistic health protocols using herbs and natural products to support and rebalance the body and restore wellness for general good health
- Discuss herbal medicine, its history, and status of current research, including how to locate studies in peer-reviewed journals
- Indicate when to refer individuals to their licensed healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment
- Discuss and describe the body’s structure and function in a healthy state
- Understand and identify the mechanical and biochemical changes caused by a variety of diseases or imbalances to be able to address system imbalances and provide education that individuals can use to restore wellness
- Identify the major active constituents, safety issues, historical uses, latest research results, including drug-herb interactions, uses, preparations, and more, for popular botanicals and educate others about the botanicals studied
- Understand common issues in plant identification, ethical wildcrafting, sustainable harvesting, field identification and safety procedures and be able to educate others about these issues
- Use and understand appropriate medical terminology to facilitate discussion with licensed healthcare providers and facilitate integration of CAM into the healthcare system, yet understand the appropriate terminology for use with consumers
- Use and understand the language of herbal therapeutic actions from alteratives to vulnerary herbs
View all ACHS instructor bios, photos and courses taught online here.
Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalency and recommendation for admission by the ACHS Admissions Committee.
Tuition and Fees:
To estimate the program tuition and fees, click on the required course name below for each Total Course Price.
The required course sequence for this program is published in the ACHS Program Catalog available to download online here.