Personal & Community Health Online
This course is designed to develop the understanding, attitudes, and practices that contribute to better individual and community health. Starting with topics related to personal health, students will consider issues relating to physical health, psychological health, social health, intellectual health, spiritual health, and environmental health. In addition, we will explore ways to achieve better health through models of health behavior change, and will look at examination theories and case studies of risk communication campaigns and strategies. Additional module topics include: psychological health, stress management, violence and abuse, reproductive health, relationships, drug abuse, nutrition, weight management, physical fitness, environmental health, aging and dying, heart disease, and cancer.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Discuss key components of health and wellness, including personal physical health and emotional health, as well as community health issues.
- Use critical thinking skills to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate health information.
- Develop strategies for communicating health messages.
- Develop strategies for improving healthcare messages relating to the key health and wellness issues.
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping to the continental United States—is $111. This includes:
- Online Materials and Library Resouces (OMLR) $99
The Required Publisher Textbook:
- Alters, A. & Schiff, W. (2013). Essential Concepts for Healthy Living (6th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett. ISBN: 9781449651930 $131.95
Total Course Price: $945 (3 credits x $315 per credit) + $111 Course Pack + $131.95 Textbook = $1187.95
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
- Interactive, instructor-led ACHS online classroom.
- Online lectures updated with the latest information and applicable research.
- Regular tests designed to enhance your understanding as well as assess your learning to date.
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online