The Aroma 507 Aromatherapy Chemistry course provides students with a systematic approach to learning the chemical functional groups and pharmacological actions of essential oils. Written by Joy Bowles, renowned author of The Chemistry of Aromatherapeutic Oils, this interactive, online, instructor-led course will help you to make sense of the chemistry of aromatherapy. This course is suitable for anyone who needs to understand the science and efficacy of this healing art, including: nurses, doctors, pharmacists, and other allied health practitioners.
The focus of the ACHS Aromatherapy Department is holistic aromatology. Holistic aromatology focuses on restoration of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health through the application of essential oils. We use the terms “aromatherapy” and “aromatology” interchangeably throughout the program. All healing modalities offered by ACHS focus on the holistic approach. Our philosophy is that only by taking care of the whole person, the physical, emotional, and spiritual, can health and wellness occur.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Discuss essential oil constituents and their therapeutic actions
- Recognize odor samples of constituents.
- Understand polarity and solubility.
- Discuss pharmacology in relation to aromatherapy.
- Conduct aromatherapy research.
- Discuss what atoms and molecules are, and how they make up the material stuff of the universe.
- Get essential oils to disperse in water.
- Describe how essential oils are absorbed, metabolized, and excreted by the body.
- Understand what quality criteria you need to consider when buying essential oils.
- Propose a hypothesis, design a study, complete an experiment using the scientific method, and compose the analysis in a format used by scientific research journals.
Maximum Enrollment: 20 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials cost (Course Pack)—including standard shipping within the United States—is $136.42. This includes:
The Required Publisher Textbooks & Media*:
- Bowles, J.E. (2004). Chemistry of Aromatherapeutic Oils (3rd ed.). Australia: Allen & Unwin. ISBN: 9781741140514 $35.00
- Clarke, S. (2008). Essential Chemistry for Aromatherapy (2nd ed.). Edinburgh, UK: Churchill Livingstone. ISBN: 9780443104039 $59.95
- Buckle, J. (2015). Clinical Aromatherapy: Essential Oils In Healthcare (3rd ed.). London, UK: Churchill Livingstone. ISBN: 9780702054402 (You should already have this text from Aroma 501.) $66.95
- Husnu Can Baser, K. & Buchbauer, G. (2009). Handbook of Essential Oils Science, Technology, and Applications. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. ISBN: 9781420063158 (You should already have this text from Aroma 501.) $287.00
- Lis-Balchin, M. (2006). Aromatherapy Science: A Guide for Healthcare Professions. London, UK: Pharmaceutical Press. ISBN: 9780853695783 (You should already have this text from Aroma 501.) $65.00
Total Course Price: $1425 (3 credits X $475 per credit) + $141.43 Course Pack + $93.95 Textbooks = $1660.38
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
* You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
- Expert faculty with real-world clinical experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.
Last update 6/27/14